Wednesday, March 12, 2008

!!!

Well, I’m another week closer to boarding the flight. I cannot believe it! Two weeks left, ten days in class, two sacrament meetings, two devotionals. I don’t feel ready. But I guess that it how it always it. I’m sure that once I’m in Taiwan I won’t feel ready to come home. So… This week has been a bit blasé, therefore I will just list the items of interest and describe…
Our devotional on Tuesday was a big deal… JEFFREY ROCKIN’ HOLLAND ! I love that man! He was so great. It was so exciting to see an apostle and to hear his words. (I’m a new woman. I cannot imagine myself a few years ago being so into the Ensign. Ps-lds.org has some new features. Check them out!!) He made us laugh so much! Two things he said stuck out: 1. Be the missionary your younger siblings imagine you are. What motivation! I would never want to let down my little sisters. He said, “They imagine you in the white shirt and tie or blouse, but with a cape!” Then he stuck his arms out and said, “There is evil. I will go down.” I thought, “Phoebe and Naomi are too smart to think I have a cape,” but laughed anyway. 2. “Don’t you dare turn your back on Christ like everyone else did.” Whoa! That hit me so hard. I’m sure I do turn my back on him all the time! I don’t want to be one of the people that left him feeling completely abandoned. So I won’t.
Here’s something weird… I got a letter from a group of elders within the MTC asking me to people watch with them. Strange. I put my foot down and declared only through face to face interactions, no exchanging letters within a mission. Some elders are weird.
Oh! This one is kind of exciting… Let me give some background information by telling you that I got in trouble the other day for not wearing enough color. I guess navy blue doesn't count as "color". But, my wardrobe here is small. Brother Stohlton is one of my favorite of the branch presidency. He’s so cool. He’s old and has a buzzed head and awesome hats. After the devotional he pulled me aside and thanked me for having good style! RAD! He said, "Too often we make our sisters think they have to look like they came from Colorado City . You look professional but stylish without being too trendy." Oh yeah! Not that it matters out here (or in the real world for that matter) but still it was nice to hear. On a related note... the day before I caved and bought two Jody dresses for Taiwan . Ha! When Brother Stohlton complimented me I thought, "Little do you know what is in my residence hall closet." Don't judge me and my ankle length dresses, okay.
This Sunday I had an interview with much adored Brother Stohlton. I told him that I'm caving. I have gotten a ton of crap from President Garrett and many elders about my current schooling choice. I asked Brother Stohlton about getting into the Y. He was overjoyed! Don't go up in arms yet. As of now it is just a thought. Who knows, after going to Taiwan I may be set on attending college in Taipei (JOKE). The thing is that I really want to be an MTC teacher, and I really want to take religion classes, especially Brother Stohlton's B.o.M. class. (The man is a genius.) So, I'd have to go to the U and retake last semester's classses and then see about transferring. Who knows.
Wow! Every story I can think of is from Tuesday. Tuesday in class we had a miracle. A real life miracle. We set a goal as a district to get 30 referrals at the RC. I am a doubting Thomas and knew that there would be no way. I have such little motivation to hand out there with my few days left. Then an elder from another district told us about there rc miracle and my faith started to glimmer (but just a bit). So, we go to the RC with Qian Laoshi and sign on and there are like over 100 incoming calls. I have only ever seen 5 maximum! We got more than 20 referalls in one day! I talked to some elect. I was so happy. It was amazing!
I have no TRC story because my companion has been ill. We spent all of Saturday in our room, I studying and she sleeping. I think she's feeling better. I think she needs to get well before Taiwan , so that is priority.
What else is there. I finished the Book of Mormon and started again. This time I'm reading REALLY slow, reading every footnote reference. Highly recommended. It takes forever, but I'm learning so much! Maybe post-mission I'll write my own B.o.M. commentary. ha. I hope you all know that the Book of Mormon is SO SO SO true. Read it every day. It will change your life. I promise you!
Thank you for the emails and letters. I'm glad to hear the world still turns in my absence. You guys make me laugh, I miss you a lot. I know I'll continue to miss you, but the next 16 months will fly by. I'm already looking back on the last two wondering where the time went. I'm excited, though, for when I come home. I'll teach you so much (part of me is thinking about moving to Vegas. Maybe.)! I can't wait for you to hear more about the people I'm with all the time. It's strange to think that you don't know my best friends. I spend hours on hours with my district, companion and teachers but you have no idea who any of them really are. I hope my descriptions help. I love you all and miss you.
MUAH!
Zeng

No comments: