Monday, February 18, 2008

Wo de jiating! (my family!)

I am so happy to be writing you. I have a lot to tell you!
So, at the beginning of the week, after writing the last email, I thought. Oh my gosh! What am going to tell them next week? My life here is getting so boring. But, lo and behold, this week was not so. Yes, the MTC is starting to feel like a prison. I still like it, but envisioning life after is kind of difficult. But, we manage to have fun.
Today started out hai hao (okay). Our roommates, whom I refuse to speak ill of because I’m working on charity, got up at six (an hour early) and did not make an effort to be quiet in the least bit. Lucky for them, we are in the MTC and I have vowed to have the voice and words of an angel, a missionary angel. After dressing quickly in my green skirt and brown sweater and placing my brown Lacoste glasses on my face, I started personal study. I LOVE LOVE LOVE Moermenjing (the Book of Mormon). After reading in Alma, I worked on the study journal I’m compiling by topic. After an hour I started the response letter to the O’Grady’s. They sent me a box of Take 5’s and a really cute book of letters from each of them. Zao can shijian (Breakfast time) came and we headed to the cafeteria. As we walked out of the doors of our new building (to be discussed shortly), we saw two of the elders from our district, Cornelius and Kitterman. Cornelius started running to the main building so I did too. I don’t remember who won, just that he yelled “Let me open the door for you!!!!” in a really funny way. To which I responded, “You will never beat a sister.” The kid is hilarious! Last night he did his impersonation of me saying, “Wo shi shei? (Who am I?)… Mo-er-men-jing.” I stared blankly and he shouted, “Wo shi ni!! (I am you!)” Apparently I have some crazy and slow way of pronouncing the Book of Mormon. Hao xiao (funny).
Now, back in time…
Tuesday- Our class went to the RC and did outbound calls, i.e. called people that had requested things and made sure they got what they wanted. (that sentence sounds weird, “got what they wanted?” Who am I?) I talked to a guy named Norman who was in middle of the lessons from the missionaries. He told me that the gospel was transforming his life and that he has never been happier. That’s what the gospel does, bring happiness. That is why missions and member missionary work is so important. I invite you all (anyone who reads this) to tell one non-member friend about at least one way the gospel has brought happiness to your life.
Tuesday night I got an interesting beyond all reasoning letter… I couldn’t read the return address, it was just a name, so I was super anxious to open it. Who was it from? AN ELDER THAT I MET AT THE MTC THAT HAD JUST LEFT. The kid was a creep. One time Sister McIntosh and I passed his zone and said ni hao (hi). He said something but it was muffled, I said what but it was too late. At the cafeteria shortly after he explained himself. I politely listened. From that point forward he was always winking at me and smiling at me and aalways seemed to be where I was. So, this letter is about how I’m cute and he really wanted to talk to me and get to know me better. He asked me to write or email him but left no address or email address. Weird! Weird! Weird! The elders in my zone commended me and challenged me to try to get as many elders as possible from the MTC to write me. I know I could prey on those I play four-square with (I am getting so much better and gaining much deserved respect) but I will not. I turned down the challenge (a first) and decided to be better focused.
Wednesday- We moved. What’s that you ask? Didn’t we move the week before? Yes, we did. This move was better in some ways, more room. Worse in others, no more living with Wonderful Sister McKinley instead we live with two sisters that don’t talk to us but talk about us behind our backs to their district, who then tell us about it. Awesome! Anyway, the point of the story is this: Our elders helped us move and other elders helped other sisters. After a bit they were all kicked out and I really needed to shower. I started to change out of my clothes (my pajama pants were super low and I started to take off my sweater, under which I had my bra and g’s). Our door was cracked open so I peaked my head out and what do you know, had eye contact with Elder Gassin! We both looked away quickly. He hasn’t said a word to me since, and leaves tomorrow to go to Vegas because his visa for Taiwan didn’t come through. (Las Vegas East, sorry). You have to understand Elder Gassin to understand this story. He is kind of perfect seeming. He totally lloks like he belongs in a country club but is really really nice, super super smart, graduated early, student body president, tennis team star, Hinckley scholar (highest scholarship at the Y), amazing with zhongwen (Mandarin). I know all of this because he is friends with Sister McKinley. So, pretty much I defiled a focused and pure missionary’s mind, and the first man to see me in garments did so at the MTC. Journal material!
Thursday- Within ten minutes I saw Kathryn Herrscher (of Gamma)’s boyfriend, Jeff Zwick (Kyle’s best friend) and Ty Sivertsen. I’m not very good at avoiding the appearance of evil. Ty gave me his parents address and I’m sure it looked so dodgy as I wrote it down.
Saturday- Funny experience at the TRC/LRC… First the volunteer didn’t know we were 5 week missionary, he thought were were 12 week missionaries and started talking about crazy stuff. It was funny but not worth typing. At one point, after we clarified our duration at the MTC he asked about how I liked his bed (we were “helping him move”) and I responded BU HAO (BAD!). He got a really weird expression and my companion explained to me that he had asked about how I liked his bed. I thought he asked how our beds were. It was funny.
Sunday- We got to see the Worldwide Leadership Training about families. Something must be going on, because they rarely broadcast to that many! I really loved the way they had the panel. It was funny, no missionaries were interested at all! And it was really long.

That’s it. My life in the MTC. I hope are all well. Thank you for the letters! I love love love them. And I’m sending a picture of me from Elder Welling’s camera. Let’s just say, I’m a model missionary. Ha.
I love you guys! Muah!!!

Zeng jiemei.

No comments: